DMB is passionate about its people. We are proud of our ability to attract and retain some of the best talent in the industry. Mary Alexander, Esq., executive VP and general counsel, is no exception. She serves our company, our industry and our community, making a tremendous impact to the legal and real estate fields, and also to Arizona.
Mary is a wife, mother, and recently a first-time Grandmother.
She is a thought leader in the legal field, serving as a Fellow of the American College of Real Estate Lawyers (ACREL). ACREL is the premier organization of U.S. real estate lawyers. Admission is by invitation after considerable peer review. Fellows are selected for their outstanding legal ability and experience and for their high standards of professional and ethical conduct in the practice of real estate law.
Mary is a fiercely passionate community advocate, leader and contributor. Her list of service is extensive and includes memberships, boards, committees and cause commitments of some diverse and important organizations:
• The Phoenix Zoo – A long-time advocate and board member, Mary recently connected ACREL to the Zoo, encouraging its charitable foundation to build a butterfly garden at the Zoo.
• The Sonoran Institute – Mary recently joined the board of this important organization that inspires and enables community decisions and public policies that respect the land and people of western North America.
• ACREL – Her involvement includes the Insurance and the Common Interest Ownership, committees which focus on the latest legal challenges affecting planned communities like those we develop at DMB.
• The United Way – As a Board Member and Chair of the Community Impact Committee, Mary is involved with providing oversight for how funds are spent – everything from contracting for services in hunger, homelessness, education and family stability. She represents United Way in two advocacy groups working to improve early childhood education in Arizona, Build Arizona and Ready Nation.
• Association for Corporate Counsel – As a board member of the Arizona Chapter of this National organization, Mary and her peers work to stay current with the breadth of issues that in-house counsel attorneys face and provide high quality legal training.
When asked how she finds the time to do all this, and do it so well, she says: “when it’s important, you just figure out how to fit it in.” Lunch time is a great time for community and other contributions. It’s also incredibly helpful that Mary’s passion aligns with DMB’s company goals and that DMB supports and encourages community involvement for all its employees.
“It’s so rewarding to add my passion for improving our community and our state, to my work experiences at DMB” Mary said.
Mary appreciates her position and accomplishments and is proud of the fact that they allow her to be a role model to other professional women. “We need the special skills that women bring to negotiating transactions and finding solutions. Women have a lot to offer.”
As a parent, business and community leader, Mary tries to live her life as an example and hopes that it helps others see that it’s possible to contribute to all aspects of your life in a meaningful way, balancing your professional and volunteer service with your commitment to your family.